Goats die in barn fire near fairgrounds

Thirteen goats perished in a barn fire at 1621 W. County Road 300S, southwest of the Bartholomew County Fairgrounds.

Firefighters, sheriff’s Deputy Jason Williams and sheriff’s Sgt. Dean Johnson responded to the fire about 6:24 a.m. Wednesday. The barn, about 30 feet by 40 feet, was engulfed in flames when they arrived. No other buildings were in danger of catching fire, according to a sheriff’s department media release.

The Columbus Township, Wayne Township and Southwest fire departments brought the fire under control.

Property owner Mark Rutan told Johnson that he was able to get some of his goats out of the barn, but 10 adult goats and three baby goats died, the media release stated.

The fire is believed to have been caused by heating lamps that had been placed in the barn for the newborn goats, the sheriff’s department said.