One injured in Taylorsville fire

One person was treated in the emergency room after a grease fire in a home south of Taylorsville.   

The 5:39 p.m. Tuesday fire occurred in the kitchen of a house on North Chaucer Court, a cul-de-sac located on the south side of the Colony Park subdivision, German Township Deputy Fire Chief Matt Lynch said. 

Upon arrival, crews found light smoke coming from the front door of the tri-level residence and learned there had been a grease fire on the stove, Lynch said. 

As one occupant attempted to extinguish the fire with flour, another ran for help to the home of a neighbor, Lynch said. The quick-thinking neighbor grabbed his fire extinguisher and successfully finished putting out the fire, he said.  

After the fire was out, one occupant carrying a pan splashed hot grease on his hand, arm and foot, and was taken to Columbus Regional Hospital for treatment of minor burns, Lynch said.

German Township volunteers cleared the house of smoke and used a thermal imaging camera to ensure the fire was completely out before leaving the scene.  

Author photo
Mark Webber is a reporter for The Republic. He can be reached at mwebber@therepublic.com or 812-379-5636.