Kitchen fire significantly damages home

A kitchen fire caused about $100,000 in damage to a home at 1030 Countryside Lane in Columbus.

Columbus firefighters said a passer-by noticed smoke coming from the home’s attic and called 911 about 11:10 a.m. Thursday.

The home, owned by Nathan and Anna Eaton, was insured, firefighters said. The family, who had lived at the home for 14 years, was making other lodging arrangements after the fire.

Firefighters said the fire was centered in the kitchen and no one was home at the time.

The home had working smoke detectors, which were heard as firefighters worked at the scene, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

The fire was under control within about 10 minutes after firefighters arrived, but the home suffered significant smoke and water damage, Wilson said.

No injuries were reported, he added.

Investigators are continuing to look through the kitchen debris to see if a cause can be determined, Wilson said.

Anna Eaton told investigators that she had left the home about 9:45 a.m. Thursday and had noticed what she described as a “warm smell.”

She thought the odor was coming through an open window and thought it was from a work crew that was outdoors in the neighborhood, Wilson said.

Author photo
Julie McClure is assistant managing editor of The Republic. She can be reached at jmcclure@therepublic.com or (812) 379-5631.