Blaze causes $75,000 in damages to home

A fire in a garage in the 600 block of Hutchins Avenue caused $75,000 in damage to house and its contents.

Columbus firefighters were sent to 644 Hutchins Ave. about 11 p.m. Sunday and found the heavy fire in the garage. As firefighters began working there, they also began searching the two-family, two-story home for anyone inside, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

After determining no one was inside, firefighters also determined the fire had spread from the garage to an interior kitchen wall in one of the apartments. The fire was under control in about 37 minutes, Wilson said.

The property is owned by Martha McQueen, although she does not live there, Wilson said. Fire investigators said they believe the fire started in a woodworking workshop in the garage but have not determined a cause, Wilson said.

The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the two people who lived in one of the apartments and a single occupant of the other apartment.

Author photo
Julie McClure is assistant managing editor of The Republic. She can be reached at jmcclure@therepublic.com or (812) 379-5631.