Dogs rescued from blaze in central Columbus home

A wood-burning stove in a Columbus home was the most likely source of a fire near FairOaks Mall, firefighters said.

The Columbus Fire Department responded about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday to smoke pouring out of single-family home at 2143 23rd St.

The residence, rented by Keith Hawk, sustained smoke damage, said Mike Wilson, spokesman for the Columbus Fire Department.

Portions of the exterior wall in the front room were also burned and had to be torn out by firefighters.

The wood-burning stove was being used to heat the home, but it was unclear to investigators why the fire spread, Wilson said.

He added Hawk was at work when the fire was reported.

No injuries were reported, Wilson said.

The house, which is owned by Brown County resident Sherry Edleman, was also involved in a fire two years ago. The earlier blaze caused significant structural damage to the property, Wilson said. Both the tenant and the owner, who are related, had been working to restore the property to its original condition, Wilson said.

A black pit bull was trapped inside the house briefly, but was freed from the house when firefighters removed the front door. A mixed-breed dog in a crate was also safely removed.