A Columbus couple represents the sixth generation of the Schulz to live the homestead off County Road 150S near Clifty Creek since 1865, according to family accounts.
Ryan Reid, whose Schulz lineage from his mother’s side of the family, lives there with his wife Amanda and their three children — Lorelei, 7; Henry, 5; and Amelia, 3.
They are among the living descendants of Heinrich M. “Henry” and Justine Schulz, who were recognized during the recent Hoosier Homestead Award ceremony at the Indiana Statehouse.
The first-generation members of the Schulz family — Heinrich and Justine — constructed a frame farmhouse on the Columbus Township property in 1865 around an original log cabin.
Their youngest son, Fred W. Schulz, first married Sophia Bick Schulz. But tragically, Sophia died of complications less than a week after giving birth to Emma Schulz Wehmeier, who was the mother of the late Bartholomew County recorder Bernice Krieg.
After his first wife’s death, Fred married Alvina Bolte Schulz. Two years after Fred and Alvina acquired the entire property, the house underwent a massive renovation and expansion in 1906.
Fred and Alvina were the parents of Henry A. Schulz, who married Alma Steinker. After Henry and Alma took over the home, the residence became one of the first in Columbus Township to receive both electricity and telephone service.
Henry would go on to become a prominent member of the community, serving as highway superintendent and chairman of the Bartholomew County Democratic Party. Alma Schulz is widely remembered as one of the founding members of the Bartholomew County Farm Bureau.
Following her husband’s death, Alma Schulz moved into a home on Washington Street in Columbus and the farm was rented out for several years.
But by maintaining ownership, she became the recipient of one of the first Hoosier Homestead certificates issued in the fall of 1976 as part of the U.S. Bicentennial celebration.
One of Henry and Alma’s two daughters, Shirley Rae Schulz, married Marvin Burbrink. The Burbrinks had six children including daughters Susan and Sharon. Shirley Burbrink still owns a share of the property.
In the 1970s, Sharon Burbrink Fawbush lived in the historic home with her husband, Rance. After the couple moved out, her brother, David Burbrink, resided there for a time.
In 2004, Susan Burbrink Reid and husband Wayne Reid purchased her brother David’s interest in the property, and they co-own it with Susan’s mother.
While Susan and Wayne’s son lives on the homestead now with his wife and their children, Susan Reid’s brother, John Burbrink, rents the tillable land and operates the farm with his son-in-law, Chuck Newkirk.