Electrical fire in garage causes $6,000 damage

An electrical fire damaged a detached garage in the 1900 block of Cherry Street.

Columbus firefighters were sent to 1926 N. Cherry St. at about 9:53 a.m. Friday after a resident discovered a fire in the garage.

After putting out the fire, firefighters cleared out smoke from the garage with a ventilation fan. They believe an overloaded electrical circuit contributed to the fire.

The fire was ruled accidental and no injuries were reported. Damage to contents and the garage structure was estimated at $6,000, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.