From: Lynn Ramberg
June is Men’s Health Month, and Father’s Day is just around the corner. A great gift for your family this Father’s Day is to quit smoking. Smoking is the No. 1 cause of preventable death. Nearly one in five deaths can be attributed to smoking. Give the gift of going tobacco-free to your children and grandchildren. Better yet, quit smoking yourself.
There are many reasons people want to quit smoking. Being there for family can be the best reason of all, but here are some other good motivators:
• Men are more likely to be current cigarette smokers than women.
• Nearly 19 of every 100 adult men (18.8 percent in the U.S.) smoke. Sadly, in Indiana the rate is higher at 24.5 percent.
• Smoking is estimated to increase the risk of coronary heart disease by two to four times, stroke by two to four times and men developing lung cancer by 25 times.
The Indiana Tobacco Quitline is a free, phone-based counseling service that helps Hoosiers quit. This free service includes:
• One-on-one coaching for tobacco users who have decided to quit.
• Unlimited web coaching.
• Unlimited call-in privileges.
• New Texting 2 Quit option.
Services are available seven days a week, so call today 800-QUIT-NOW (800-784-8669) or go to quitnowindiana.com.
Most Hoosiers want to quit. Support your family members by helping them through this process. Happy Father’s Day! You have a lot to live for.