Discarded smoking material is believed to have caused a small fire on the front porch and in siding on a home at 909 Pearl St.

Columbus firefighters were sent to the home at about 5:24 p.m. Tuesday after flames were seen on the front porch, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

A neighbor had already used a fire extinguisher on the porch which reduced the fire to a smolder as firefighters arrived, Wilson said.

Firefighters heard several smoke alarms inside the single story rental home, which was vacant when the fire was reported, Wilson said.

For more on this story, see Thursday’s Republic.