An Air Quality Action Day has been issued for Saturday in Bartholomew County, as well as many other parts of Indiana.
The alert was issued by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) for the following metropolitan areas:
- Greater Louisville: Clark, Floyd, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Scott and Washington
- Southwest Indiana: Daviess, Dubois, Gibson, Greene, Knox, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh and Warrick
- Central Indiana: Marion, Bartholomew, Boone, Brown, Delaware, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Madison, Monroe, Morgan and Shelby
- Northwest Indiana: Lake, Porter, LaPorte
IDEM encourages Hoosiers to help reduce ozone by making simple changes to their daily habits, such as:
- Walk, bike, carpool or use public transportation
- Avoid using the drive-thru and combine errands into one trip
- Avoid refueling your vehicle or using gasoline-powered lawn equipment until after 7 p.m.
- Turn off your vehicle engine when idling for more than 30 seconds
- Conserve energy by turning off lights or setting the air conditioner to 75 degrees or above