Fire in home causes damage

A fire contained to a Columbus bathroom caused an estimated $2,500 in damage to a single-story home.

Two adults and an 8-year-old child were home in the 1200 block of Eighth Street when firefighters were called at 10:44 a.m. Friday, according to a news release from the Columbus Fire Department. Firefighters arrived at the home and found smoldering paper products and a charred wooden door and wooden wash basin cabinet.

Investigators learned that a lit candle in the bathroom was dropped by the child into the trash, which ignited, Capt. Mike Wilson said. Cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, he said.