All three races for the Bartholomew Consolidated School Board seats on the Nov. 8 ballot are contested. Candidate filing closed at noon Friday.
School board races in the Columbus-based district, held in even-numbered years, have been unopposed since at least 2008, according to election records at the Bartholomew County Voter Registration office.
Two more local residents declared their candidacy for a seat on the BCSC school board this week. Pat Bryant, the District 5 incumbent, announced Monday that he would seek re-election. Bryant is being challenged by Tim Woods for the District 5 spot.
On Thursday, Dennis White added his name to the District 7 BCSC school board ballot. He is being challenged by Jeff Caldwell, the District 7 incumbent.
Voters also will choose who the District 3 BCSC school board member will be this fall, with incumbent Polly Verbanic and challenger James Persinger both seeking the spot.
In the 2012 general election — the last time the BCSC District 3, 5 and 7 seats were on the ballot — Verbanic, Bryant and Caldwell each ran unopposed.
Similarly, when the District 1, 2 4 and 6 seats on the BCSC school board were up for a vote during the 2014 election, current incumbents Jill Shedd, Rich Stenner, Bob Abrams and Kathy Dayhoff-Dwyer did not have challengers.
In Flat Rock-Hawcreek School Corp. in Hope, incumbents Steve Wilson and Brian Rose have filed to run for re-election to their seats as the Hawcreek and Flat Rock school board representatives, respectively. Both incumbents are running unopposed.
Wilson won his spot on the Flat Rock-Hawcreek board in a three-way race in 2012, while Rose also ran unopposed that year.
Bartholomew County residents can vote for their preferred candidates for the county public school boards on Nov. 8. Voting centers will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and voter IDs will be required. Residents in either Bartholomew Consolidated or Flat Rock-Hawcreek school districts can vote at any of the 18 county vote centers:
- Flintwood Wesleyan Church, 5300 25th St., Columbus
- St. John’s Masonic Lodge, 4131 Rock Ford Road, Columbus
- Grace Lutheran Church, 3201 Central Ave., Columbus
- Healing Waters Church, 2330 Midway St., Columbus
- Donner Center, 739 22nd St., Columbus
- East Columbus Fire Station, 935 Repp Drive, Columbus
- The Commons, 300 Washington St., Columbus
- MainSource Bank, 2310 W. Jonathan Moore Pike, Columbus
- Terrace Lake Church, 4260 W. 200 South, Columbus
- Faith Lutheran Church, 6000 W. State Road 46, Columbus
- REMC Building, 1697 W. Deaver Road, Columbus
- Elizabethtown Fire Station, 10203 E. Legal Tender Road, Elizabethtown
- Shiloh Baptist Church, 11988 E. State Road 46, Columbus
- Hope Moravian Church, 202 Main St., Hope
- Clifford Fire Station, 7850 N. Depot St., Clifford
- German Township Fire Station, 9248 Main St., Taylorsville
- Southwest Fire Station, 8500 S. State Road 58, Columbus
- White Creek Lutheran Church, 16270 S. 300 West, Columbus