WEST HAVEN, Conn. — Authorities have identified the victim of a fire at a West Haven condominium complex and say smoking is to blame.

Fire investigators say the victim of fire Monday morning at the Bull Hill Lane condominiums in West Haven was 44-year-old Robert Graziano.

West Shore Fire Chief Stephen Scafariello says the cause was “careless, disregarded smoking materials.”

He tells The New Haven Register that the fire was limited mostly to a bedroom in the unit where the victim’s body was found thanks to smoke and carbon monoxide detectors with 10-year batteries donated and installed last winter.

Graziano was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

VIAThe Associated Press
SHARE
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.