LAS VEGAS — Defense attorneys are seeking the release of a man claiming a British royal title who has been jailed for nearly three weeks in Las Vegas on felony and misdemeanor charges.
One of Alexander Montagu-Manchester’s three court-appointed lawyers, Robert O’Brien, said Thursday that the man’s attorneys are concerned about his medical condition.
O’Brien said that a judge who ordered the 53-year-old Montagu-Manchester held without bail until at least Sept. 26 will be asked Friday to allow Montagu-Manchester’s release for what O’Brien termed “medical necessity.”
In a jailhouse interview, Montagu-Manchester told The Associated Press he was suffering from a head injury he received in a street attack June 8.
Police have confirmed the case was being investigated and no arrest had been made.
Montagu-Manchester says he has Australian and British citizenship and has identified himself as the 13th Duke of Manchester, a title that dates back 950 years. Calls to the British consulate in Los Angeles could not confirm his claim to royalty.
Montagu-Manchester also denied committing any crimes.
He’s been jailed since Aug. 12 on a felony false police report charge that a judge said violated terms of his release on a previous burglary charge.
The arrest stemmed from an allegedly false report blaming a deep cut on his left thumb on an attack by his wife
His wife, Laura Montagu, told AP she believes her husband needs medical help and that since suffering a concussion he had “been saying a lot of things” that didn’t make sense.
In court Thursday, a judge set a Sept. 13 trial date on a misdemeanor driving under the influence of drugs charge that could get Montagu-Manchester up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.