LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Lafayette police say an 8-year-old boy suffered life-threatening injuries after being severely burned near a bonfire.

They say the boy was airlifted to an Indianapolis hospital following the accident Sunday night.

Police said they believe the boy was burned because “juveniles were playing with gasoline in the vicinity of a bonfire.” It wasn’t clear whether the boy was one of the juveniles playing with gasoline.

Emergency responders found the boy badly burned over most of his body. They say several other people who tried to extinguish the flames suffered severe burns and were treated at local hospitals.

Police haven’t released the name of the boy.

VIAThe Associated Press
SHARE
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.