ZURICH — FIFA’s ethics judge has opened a case against a high-ranking Qatari official who is seeking a seat on world soccer’s ruling council.

Qatar Football Association vice president Saoud Al-Mohannadi can request a hearing with judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, FIFA said Tuesday.

FIFA prosecutors asked Eckert last month to ban Al-Mohannadi for “no less than two years and six months” for not telling the truth and not cooperating properly with an ethics investigation.

Al-Mohannadi said last week that he is “confident that a full and fair review of the matter will confirm that I have co-operated extensively and candidly.”

The case does not involve Qatar’s 2022 World Cup bid, but no further details were provided by FIFA’s ethics committee.

Al-Mohannadi was announced by the Asian Football Confederation last month among four men competing for two vacant seats on the FIFA Council. The vote by AFC member federations is on Sept. 27 in Goa, India.