DETROIT — A 12-year-old girl was electrocuted in Detroit after she came in contact with an inactive power line that was energized by a live wire, authorities said Thursday.

Mayor Mike Duggan called the death a “terrible tragedy,” and the city’s lighting department and a Detroit-area utility promised a full investigation.

Kabrinanna Griffin was playing in a friend’s yard Wednesday night when she was electrocuted.

“Our initial investigation indicates that an out-of-service Public Lighting Department wire fell and crossed over a live DTE wire, which effectively energized the PLD line that the young girl came into contact with,” the department and DTE Energy said in a statement.

By late afternoon, they released a new statement, saying the investigation was “complicated.”

“We do not want to speculate on what occurred. It doesn’t matter whose line it is, it is about understanding what happened,” they said.

Residents in the neighborhood said there were many power lines hidden by overgrown vegetation. Arnitha Brown said the wire that killed the girl was across her body.

“When you got lines that look like that and they don’t do anything about it, to me, it’s an accident waiting to happen,” said Carol Barker, who has lived in the neighborhood for 40 years.

VIAThe Associated Press
SHARE
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.