CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. — An elderly couple has died in a fire at a Clarksville home.

The Leaf-Chronicle reports (http://leafne.ws/2cNOEPM ) that the fire was called in to the fire department at around 3 a.m. on Saturday and that the blaze was under control within about 45 minutes.

Deputy Fire Chief Ray Williams says the 77-year-old Patricia Richardson and her 84-year-old husband, Leo, died in their bedroom. He says the cause was likely smoke inhalation.

The couple had lived in the home since 1956.

Williams says the fire appears to have started in a garage that had been converted into a room. The source may have been a mini refrigerator.

A smoke detector was found at the scene, but it is unclear if it worked.


Information from: The Leaf-Chronicle, http://www.theleafchronicle.com

VIAThe Associated Press
SHARE
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.