LOS ANGELES — A man who was found guilty of arranging the murder of a witness from his jail cell has refused to defend himself against the death penalty.

City News Service says 50-year-old Michael Thomas said in a Los Angeles courtroom Monday that he didn’t want to attend proceedings, let his attorneys call witnesses or make statements.

Thomas was allowed to leave the court and despite repeated objections, the judge barred his lawyers from making an opening statement, calling witnesses, offering a closing argument or cross-examining prosecution witnesses.

Thomas was convicted last week in the 2012 death of Erik Poltorak, who was shot on his Los Angeles doorstep.

Poltorak had been expected to testify that Poltorak robbed him during a home invasion robbery a year earlier.