CHICKAMAUGA, Ga. — Authorities say an infant and a young child died in a northwest Georgia house fire.

Glenn Allen, a spokesman for Georgia’s fire marshal, tells The Associated Press there were five children and two adults in the Walker County home when the blaze broke out shortly before 6 a.m. Tuesday.

Allen said the adults were able to get three children out of the house, but 6-year-old Nataleigh Long and 8-month-old Jocelin Long died.

Allen said the adults in the home, Richard and Heather Long, were Nataleigh’s parents. Richard Long’s daughter, Katie Long, was Jocelin’s mother and was not at the home at the time of the fire.

Allen said investigators believe the fire was started by an unattended scented candle.

Allen said the fire happened in the Chickamauga area, about 15 miles south of Chattanooga, Tennessee.

VIAThe Associated Press
SHARE
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.