FORT WAYNE, Ind. — Shootings at a Fort Wayne bar left three men dead and two others wounded, police said, and an owner of the trouble-prone establishment said it will not reopen.
Police and paramedics found three men fatally wounded at Sports and Spirits about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday, police said. Two others were hospitalized in good condition with gunshot wounds.
Witnesses told police they heard gunshots and saw one person fleeing the bar.
“The officers arrived and people were running everywhere,” police spokesman John Chambers said. “There was no way of verifying suspect information. We don’t know if it was one shooter or more than one.”
The Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission revoked Sports and Spirits’ liquor license last year, citing shootings, gun and drug seizures, and other trouble at the bar. Police records showed that in the previous two years police had been called there 135 times.
Sports and Spirits remained open during an appeal that was pending before the Indiana Supreme Court, but one of the bar’s owners, Burke Baughman, released a statement later Tuesday saying they were ending their fight.
“We have voluntarily tendered our alcoholic beverage permit to the Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission to be placed in escrow. We do not plan to reopen the business,” the statement said.
The owners were cooperating with authorities to help them in identifying those responsible for the shootings, Baughman said.
The triple killing was the second in three days for the state’s second largest city. Three people were fatally shot in their heads at a house Sunday in an incident that has since been declared a quadruple homicide because one of the victims was eight months pregnant.