SANAA, Yemen — Airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition targeting rebels in Yemen that hit civilian homes in a Red Sea port city have killed at least 32 people, officials said Thursday, raising the death toll from an attack a day earlier.

Sami Motair, a medical official at al-Thawra hospital in Hodeidah, told The Associated Press that scores of bodies were buried under at least three houses that the missiles hit in a neighborhood known as Indians Alley.

He said that he expects the death toll to rise as more bodies are uncovered, and stressed that conditions at the hospital were difficult as it was filled to capacity. Over 75 wounded were being treated.

The Wednesday airstrikes targeted a building known as the presidential palace in the city earlier in the day.

The Saudi-led coalition has been carrying out airstrikes against Yemen’s Houthi rebels and their allies since March 2015.

VIAThe Associated Press
SHARE
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.