With one loss already in the Hoosier Hills Conference, the Columbus East boys soccer team knew it needed a win against HHC leader Floyd Central on Wednesday night to have any shot at the title.

So instead of being happy with a tie, the Olympians pushed forward the final 20 minutes trying to get on the board. Although both teams had chances, neither could capitalize, and the game ended in a 0-0 tie.

The decision puts Seymour, which is 5-1 in the conference, in the driver’s seat. The Highlanders (3-3-4 overall) are now 2-0-2 in the HHC, while the Olympians (5-4-1 overall) are 2-1-1 in the conference.

East dominated nearly the first 60 minutes against Floyd Central. The Highlanders did not get off a shot until the 59th minute.

“I felt like the first 60 minutes, we were very dynamic in the way we attacked,” East coach Brad Barber said. “We did a good job being able to go through them, go around them and go over top of them. That’s very hard to defend, and when we did that, we generated a number of very dangerous opportunities. But we did not capitalize on the opportunities we had.”

The Olympians had a golden opportunity in the 50th minute, when Floyd Central goalkeeper Braden Edwards was called for a foul going over the back of East’s Eli Newell to try to make a save. But Edwards saved Newell’s penalty kick to keep the game scoreless.

In the final 21 minutes, the Highlanders managed seven shots, putting five on goal. The Olympians finished with six shots, including four on goal.

“We pushed a little higher, took more chances, and as a result, (Floyd Central) generated some more scoring opportunities,” Barber said. “So I’m not so much worried about the last 20 minutes.”

East freshman goalkeeper Zach Roberts finished with five saves.

“I felt like we played pretty decent, but if the play is going to be in the attacking third the whole time, we have to put one away,” Roberts said.

Author photo
Ted Schultz is sports editor for The Republic. He can be reached at tschultz@therepublic.com or 812-379-5628.