Throughout the month, Columbus Regional Health’s WellConnect is offering a walking challenge. Anyone who completes at least five out of the 10 challenges will receive a free WellConnect fitness pass and entered to win a FitBit fitness tracker, to be given away Oct. 28.
Also, as a part of a goal to increase area leaders’ awareness of the benefits of a more walkable city, Healthy Communities has organized a Day in a Wheelchair event in partnership with city councilwoman Laurie Booher and Access-Ability. On Oct. 27, city leaders, including Mayor Jim Lienhoop, will spend the morning using a wheelchair to foster understanding of issues faced by some members of the community and the importance of accessibility around Columbus.
Walktober events include:
- Walk to End Alzheimer’s: Today at Mill Race Park. Registration begins at noon, ceremony and walk begins at 1:15 p.m.
- Walktober Kickoff at WellConnect: Monday, from 9 to 10 a.m. White River Running Co., will be available to answer questions and have shoes to try on. From 4 to 6 p.m., Dr. Travis Hubbuch will offer free gait analysis. Walktober Challenge sheets will be available anytime through the month at WellConnect, 237 Washington St., for a chance to win prizes.
- Nature Walk with landscape architect Art Hopkins: At 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in Mill Race Park.
- Walk to School Day: Wednesday
- Walk with a Doc: Walking with Dr. Amanda Dornfeld at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, meeting at Haw Creek bridge on 18th Street near Columbus Regional Hospital’s main entrance.
- Walk ‘n Wag: This dog walk/run will begin at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at White River Running, 325 Fifth St.
- Buddy Walk — Columbus Area Down Syndrome Group: Registration begins at 10:30 a.m., walk begins at noon Oct. 8 at Donner Park.
- Pub Run/Walk: Meet at White River Running at 6:10 p.m. Oct. 13 for a fun walk/run followed by meeting up at a local pub for drinks and food. Go to whiteriverrunningcompany.com for details.
- Walk with a Doc: Walk with Dr. Helen Kinsey at 12:15 p.m. Oct. 14, meeting at Columbus Gynecology next to Columbus Regional Hospital.
- Senior Walk: Meet at Mill Race Center at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 19 for a walk on the People Trails.
- Pub Run/Walk: Meet at White River Running. at 6:10 p.m. Oct. 20 for a fun walk/run followed by meeting up at a local pub for drinks and food. Go to whiteriverrunningcompany.com for details.
- Take a Walk with Clifford: For children ages 2 to 6, 10 a.m. Oct. 26, Bartholomew County Public Library, story and craft time focused on safe walking.
- Costume Walk/Run: Begins at 6:15 p.m. Oct. 27 at White River Running. Go to whiteriverrunningcompany.com for details.
- Walktober Wrap-up: From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 28, Dr. Brandon Gumbiner and the Fitted Foot will be at WellConnect to answer questions about walking form and finding the proper shoes.’
- Public Art Walking Tour: Visit 25 public artworks in downtown Columbus. Meet at the Bartholomew County Public Library plaza at 1:30 p.m. Oct. 29 for a 2-mile walk.
The Healthy Communities Walktober calendar is available at gohealthycolumbus.org or on Reach Healthy Communities on Facebook.