ST. LEON — With four underclassmen lined up to take penalty kicks in Wednedsday night’s regional semifinal shootout before it would be her turn, Columbus North senior Addy Lang knew the importance of not letting them get to nervous.

After two misses and two makes by her North teammates and one make and three misses by Batesville, Lang had a chance to shoot for herself. She didn’t miss.

Lang’s boot gave North a 3-1 advantage on PKs and a 2-1 victory after the teams were tied after 80 minutes of regulation and 14 minutes of overtime.

“I just tried to stay really calm and not try to get anybody any nerves,” Lang said. “So I just stayed calm and hit the shot as I would in practice.”

North (14-5-1) moves on to Saturday’s East Central Regional final, where it will meet Floyd Central. The Highlanders beat Richmond 2-0 in Wednesday’s first semifinal.

The shootout started with North’s Elizabeth Craig putting one off the left post. North keeper Liz Tynan then smothered a shot by Taylor Rowlett. After North’s Corinne Orben had her shot stopped by Julia Hunter, Batesville’s Liz Heidlage put one off the crossbar.

North’s Tanner Johnson connected for the first goal of the shootout, and Batesville’s Sylvia Phillips answered. North’s Caroline Hollenkamp then put one in of the right post, and Tynan stopped a shot by Carly Werner.

That set up Lang’s game-winner.

“I just knew that my teammates would put theirs in, and I just had confidence in myself and confidence in my teammates,” Tynan said. “It’s a good feeling, and just a great game to play in.”

Tynan felt like she redeemed herself after she and Columbus North lost in a shootout to Terre Haute North in last year’s Conference Indiana Tournament.

“That one really stung a little bit, so this one heals it,” Tynan said.

Wednesday, Columbus North had to make a comeback after falling behind early. Batesville’s Carly Werner, who played for the U14 State Cup champion Columbus Express team with Hollenkamp with North’s Caroline Hollenkamp, struck in the 15th minute.

The game stayed 1-0 the rest of the half.

“Batesville knocked off East Central, so we definitely knew we had a fight on our hands,” North coach Derek Stewart said. “They came out aggressive and played extremely well. That first goal they got was an excellent run, and we just couldn’t defend it.”

North came out aggressive and attacking in the second half and finally got on the board in the 53rd minute. Lang took a lead pass from Natalie Teo, made a couple of dribbles around a defender and put one past Hunter to try the game.

Until that point, North coach Derek Stewart had not moved extra players forward.

“We were going to go probably a good third or quarter of the second half the same as usual,” Stewart said. “We knew we had some offense the first half, so we kept things on par. We were going to start pushing players up if we needed to, but it seemed to work out. We were getting a lot of pressure on them.”

Both teams had chances the rest of regulation, but couldn’t convert. Neither team managed a shot in the first seven minutes of overtime, and Batesville took two shots in the final seven minutes of OT.

Batesville outshot North 9-8, but North put five shots on goal to four for Batesville. Both Tynan and Hunter finished with six saves.

“It was getting pretty frustrating, but my teammates and coaches kept pushing me and telling me to keep my head up, and we kept going and ended up pulling it out,” Lang said. “We played with everything we had. We went for every ball. We just came together as a team and played our hearts out. It was awesome.”

Author photo
Ted Schultz is sports editor for The Republic. He can be reached at or 812-379-5628.