Safe Kids Bartholomew County is encouraging residents to practice home fire drills on Saturday, which is Home Fire Drill Day.
The day coincides with the last day of National Fire Prevention week.
Here are some Home Fire Drill Day tips:
- Pick a family safety spot outside the home that is a safe distance away.
- Test smoke alarms and teach kids what the beep sounds like and what it means.
- Assign an adult to aid children younger than age 6.
- Use a time to ensure everyone can get out of the house and to the safety spot in two minutes or less.
- Draw out an exit plan based on available exits around the home.