RALEIGH, N.C. — The Latest on North Carolina’s recovery from Hurricane Matthew (all times local):
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory has revised the death toll from Hurricane Matthew down slightly.
McCrory told reporters in New Bern on Monday that one of the 26 deaths previously attributed to Matthew has been determined not to have been caused by the storm.
The governor did not say which death was not storm-related. Almost all the deaths blamed on the storm occurred in vehicles.
McCrory also said Interstate 95 has reopened. Several stretches of the road had been closed since Matthew hit the state earlier this month.
The governor also said that the major rivers that have caused flooding problems in eastern North Carolina have peaked, though some flooding is still occurring.
McCrory says his top priority is to get people from shelters into temporary housing.
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory will be in New Bern to provide an update on the state’s recovery effort from Hurricane Matthew.
The governor’s office said McCrory will appear at the Craven County Government Center at noon Monday to talk about damages from the storm.
At least 26 people have died in North Carolina, most in vehicle-related accidents.
State officials estimate the flooding has caused $1.5 billion in damage to 100,000 homes, businesses and government buildings.
The state transportation department said flooding and debris has closed many roads in the eastern and central parts of North Carolina.
Interstate 95 is still closed in two stretches. The southbound lanes are closed between Fayetteville and Lumberton. A nine-mile stretch of the northbound lanes are also closed in the Lumberton area.