A local man is in custody after a two-and-a-half hour standoff with the Columbus Police Department SWAT team in the 700 block of Werner Avenue.
Miguel J. Rivas, 29, Columbus was arrested on charges of:
- Possession of a machine gun
- Two counts of possession of a handgun without a license
- Obliterating identifying marks on a handgun
- Possession of a syringe
- Possession of a controlled substance
- Operating a vehicle without ever receiving a license
Police saw Rivas standing near the Werner Street residence at about 4 p.m. Thursday and confirmed he had multiple warrants for his arrest.
Due to the nature of the warrants, including possession of a machine gun, the SWAT team and crisis negotiators were sent and made contact with Rivas, said Lt. Matt Harris, Columbus Police Department spokesman. Rivas left the house shortly after 6:30 p.m.
For more on this story, see Saturday’s Republic.