Orchids to …
• the local elected officials who work at being open, honest and transparent, serving humbly with integrity and always having the larger public interest at heart.
• Gary Scroggins for his awesome picture of Waverly Hills Sanatorium which is one of my favorite places, from a grateful ghost hunter.
• Scooter’s for the major contribution to the Columbus East boys and girls swimming awards banquet.
• U.S. Sen. Joe Donnelly, R-Ind., for not urging repeal of the Affordable Care Act and for working to improve the law.
• Columbus East wrestler Cayden Rooks who is an Indiana state champion in wrestling.
• Rhonda Fischer for her perfectly stated letter regarding women’s rights and the votes against by our representatives.
• those who support freedom of the press.
• Danielle Cosby, a freshman at Franklin College, for earning a place on the dean’s list and being such a good cheerleader, from great-grandma Norma.
• Hauser FFA for its successful pancake breakfast at Hauser High School on Friday, and all FFA members and family, including adviser, Aleesa Dickerson, who helped in any way.
Onions to …
• the person who humiliated and cyber-bullied the teen taking down the flag, instead of using the situation as a learning opportunity by speaking with the teen or the business owner.
• officials for withholding information about a traffic crash involving a county-owned vehicle and county employees.
• the clueless who don’t understand there is a big difference between peaceful protest and rioting.
• the person forced to pick cigarette butts out of his yard with tongs when he should have used an ashtray in the first place.
• those who sounded the 3:45 a.m. train horn.
• any town trying to promote healthy communities while having hideously unhealthy restaurant choices.
• an organization that puts forth a liberal agenda while purporting to be nonpartisan.
• housing contractors that allow large gravel trucks to speed through quiet subdivisions, endangering lives and tearing up streets.
• women who are upset about not being able to get free birth control and who are afraid of the loss of their right to have an abortion.
• anyone suggesting there is a stigma to mental illnesses, because stigmas have caused far too much harm.
Happy Birthday to …
• Trish Park, from your family, co-workers and Donna.
• Louie Grable, from your family and Donna.
• Ricky Wheeler, from Pastor Lewis Burton and The Who So Ever Will Community Church.
• Sandy Hammons, from your friends at AT&T.
• Jennifer Speer, from your family and all your friends in Rockcreek Township.
• Alice Purtlebaugh, from Jean Patrick.
• Belinda Harpring, from Mom and aunt Doll.
• Amanda Brooks, from aunt Marian, aunt Imogene, the Millers and the Kirbys.
• Benny Shoultz on No. 13, from Mom, Bailey, Mammy McClintic, Mamaw Laurel, Pappy Dan, Tony, Jason, Torrie, Tom, Kayleigh, Brian, Aurora and Mamaw and Papaw Shoultz.
Happy Birthday to …
• Brenda Simmons, from Mom.