HONOLULU — A developer whose permit has been stalled by Honolulu City Council is threatening to organize a boycott of Hawaii.
Developer Johnson Fang addressed Councilman Ikaika Anderson in a letter and accused him of being biased, Hawaii News Now reported Friday (http://bit.ly/2qgA5Xv). Fang is hoping to build a 26-story high-rise, but his plans have been put on hold since Honolulu City Council has not granted his permit.
“We deem your racial remarks (have) violated federal law . and discriminated against Chinese-Americans,” Fang said in the letter. “l will call on Chinese to not visit Hawaii … not to make investment or buy property in Hawaii.”
Anderson has declined to respond to Fang’s allegations.
Last week, Anderson said that he was not interested in Fang’s proposed luxury condos project that markets 60 percent of the units in China. Anderson has said he does not support the project because it would do little to ease the housing crisis.
The proposed prices of the units are from $1.5 million and up.
The council member has also found problems with comments made by the developer’s son Jay Fang who has said that even though it is a transit-oriented development project, he does expect the unit buyers will use the rail system. The son has said the rail system is primarily for the elderly and unemployed people and those who cannot afford a vehicle.
“I am concerned that this developer seems to have some disdain for some people of Honolulu,” Anderson said.
Information from: KGMB-TV, http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/