State chemist warns of lethal pesticide being sold in non-labeled jugs

WEST LAFAYETTE — The office of the Indiana State Chemist is warning residents that an unlicensed individual in Rockport has sold non-labeled water or milk jugs containing a potentially lethal pesticide called paraquat.

Paraquat is a federally restricted-use pesticide that, when ingested, can be life-threatening. A toxic dose can be as little as 10-15 milliliters (less than a half ounce).

Anyone who has purchased or received this non-labeled pesticide product or anyone who knows of someone who has should avoid using it and keep it away from all human contact.

To dispose of the material legally and at no cost, call one of the agencies below:

  • Office of Indiana State Chemist, George Saxton, 800-893-6637 or email saxtong@purdue.edu
  • Rockport Police Department,  812-649-6049.