Fire caused by candle damages Cottage Avenue home

An unattended candle caused a fire at a Cottage Avenue rental home, Columbus firefighters said.

Columbus firefighters were sent to 1041 Cottage Ave. at 1:51 a.m. Monday about a house on fire, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

A 17-month-old toddler who was crying woke up one of two sleeping adults, who found thick smoke throughout the home. The two adults and the toddler left the home and called 911, Wilson said.

Thick, black smoke filled the home and firefighters extinguished the fire which was limited to a bedroom, although smoke damage was visible throughout the home. Damage was estimated at $40,000 to the home and its contents, Wilson said. No working smoke alarms were found inside the home, Wilson said.

The fire was ruled accidental due to the candle and no injuries were reported.

The Columbus Fire Department reminds residents that working smoke alarms provide early detection and allow residents time to safely escape a fire. From 2009 to 2013, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 9,300 home structure fires started by candles, the fire department reported. Those fires caused 86 deaths, 827 injuries and $374 million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

For more on this story, see Tuesday’s Republic.