An unattended candle caused a fire at a Cottage Avenue rental home.

Firefighters were sent to 1041 Cottage Ave. at 1:51 a.m. Monday for a residence on fire, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

A 17-month-old toddler who was crying woke up one of two sleeping adults, who found thick smoke throughout the home, Wilson said. The two adults and the toddler left the home and called 911, Wilson said.

Thick, black smoke filled the home before firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, which was limited to a bedroom although smoke damage was visible throughout the home, Wilson said. Damage was estimated at $40,000 to the home and its contents, Wilson said. No working smoke alarms were found inside the home, Wilson said.

The fire was ruled accidental due to the candle, and no injuries were reported, Wilson said. The residents arranged temporary housing after the fire.

Candle fires

The Columbus Fire Department reminds residents that working smoke alarms provide early detection and allow residents time to safely escape a fire.

From 2009 to 2013, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 9,300 home structure fires started by candles, the fire department reported. Those fires caused 86 deaths, 827 injuries and $374 million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

About one-third of home candle fires started in bedrooms, and more than half of home candle fires occurred when some form of combustible material was left or came too close to a candle.

Source: National Fire Protection Association, nfpa.org