GULFPORT, Miss. — The parents of a man who was severely burned after he came into contact with a power line have filed a lawsuit against Mississippi Power and the Gulfport Yacht Club.

The Sun Herald reports Tommy and Ruth Doucet filed the lawsuit on behalf of John Harrison Doucet on Tuesday. Harrison was disengaging a trailer hitch from a sailboat when he came into contact with an overhead power line. As a result, 21-year-old Harrison had to have his legs and right arm amputated.

The lawsuit alleges guidelines for marinas recommend that power lines be buried in areas where electrical shock can occur. It also described Mississippi Power’s inspection and assessment of power lines as “hit and miss.”

Mississippi Power said in a statement that the company would not comment on pending litigation.


Information from: The Sun Herald, http://www.sunherald.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.