FUNKSTOWN, Md. — Safety concerns canceled fireworks during a Maryland town’s Civil War battle reenactment.
The Herald-Mail reports Saturday night fireworks planned during a Battle of Funkstown reenactment were canceled after failing a fire marshal’s final inspection. Officials say that Funkstown received $4,000 following the cancellation and a makeup date is being discussed.
An email from Deputy State Fire Marshal Bruce D. Bouch says national code requirements weren’t met as racks for the fireworks were connected in an unapproved manner.
Funkstown Councilman John Phillips III says fireworks will be set off by a different company than Master Displays Limited, which was planned prior. The company’s owner, John Cosgrove, says he has a record of providing shows “100 percent safely” without accidents.
Bouch says Cosgrove made repairs after the same violation last year.
Information from: The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown, Md., http://www.herald-mail.com