A kitchen fire caused $15,000 in damage to a home in the 400 block of Coovert Street.
Columbus firefighters were sent to the home at 8:11 p.m. Tuesday, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.
The fire, at 470 Coovert St., occurred when cooking oil ignited, catching the range top and cabinets above on fire, he said.
The home’s occupant attempted to extinguish the flames with a portable fire extinguisher, but was unable to put the fire out and left the home to wait for firefighters, Wilson said.
Firefighters encountered heavy smoke inside the home and used a portable fire extinguisher to put out the fire on the range and cabinets, Wilson said. Large ventilation fans were used to remove smoke from the home.
No injuries were reported and firefighters said the home did have working smoke alarms, Wilson said.
Assisting at the scene were the Columbus Police Department and Columbus Regional Health EMS.