ABUJA, Nigeria — Nigeria’s government says President Muhammadu Buhari has written to Guinea’s leader thanking him for organizing nationwide prayers for his health and saying “I am making good progress.”

Buhari has been in London for medical treatment for more than two months. His absence and the lack of information about his condition have caused tensions in Africa’s most populous nation. The government on Sunday released the first photo of the 74-year-old since he left.

Tuesday’s statement says Buhari wrote Monday to Alpha Conde, who is also chairman of the Assemblies of Heads of State and Government of the African Union.

Buhari’s letter says he will return to his duties “as soon as doctors advise.”

Buhari also spent seven weeks in London earlier this year and said he’d never been so sick.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.