MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — An electrical fire at a Miami Beach hotel that hosted the Beatles in 1964 sent guests scrambling to find another place to stay.

Police and fire crews responded to the oceanfront Deauville Beach Resort early Tuesday. News outlets report that malfunctioning wiring in a temporary unit being used to supplement the building’s air conditioner caught fire.

Miami Beach Fire Rescue Capt. Jorge Linares says the fire activated a sprinkler in the electrical room. He said no smoke or fire got into any rooms, but about 150 guests were told to leave the hotel. On Tuesday morning, they were being escorted into the building to get their belongings.

It was unclear how extensive the repairs would be or when the hotel would reopen.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.