BERLIN — German prosecutors said Friday that they have filed terrorism and murder charges against a suspected member of Afghanistan’s Taliban whom they accuse of participating in an attack in which an American soldier was killed.

Federal prosecutors said they filed the indictment against the 20-year-old Afghan national, identified only as Abdol Moghadas S. in line with German privacy rules, at the Munich state court. He is charged with membership in a terrorist organization, murder and attempted murder, as well as violating weapons laws.

The suspect joined the Taliban in 2013 and underwent weapons training, and participated in two attacks on U.S. soldiers and Afghan government troops, prosecutors said.

They said that in the second attack in early 2014, a convoy of eight or nine U.S. military vehicles was hit, with at least one American soldier killed and two more wounded.

The suspect, who was arrested in Germany in February, also is accused of transporting to Kabul on several occasions in 2014 and 2015 bombs made by the commander of his local Taliban unit that could be detonated by remote control.

In a separate case, prosecutors said Friday that a judge ordered the release of a 30-year-old Afghan national, identified as Abdullah P., who had been held on suspicion of involvement in two attacks on American and Afghan soldiers between 2004 and 2008. In one of those cases, at least 16 soldiers are believed to have been killed.

He was arrested in March on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, but prosecutors said Friday that they hadn’t found enough evidence to continue holding him in custody.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.