LOS ANGELES — The Latest on the fight over reopening a Southern California gas storage facility (all times local):

7:30 p.m.

A California utility is voicing its disagreement with a court that blocked the restart of a Los Angeles gas storage facility that was closed by a major blowout.

Southern California Gas Co. said late Friday that unnecessary delays will challenge its ability to meet natural gas inventories directed by state regulators to avoid an energy crisis.

The utility says it has met and in many cases exceeded the safety requirements the state laid out for the Aliso Canyon facility.

A state appeals court temporarily blocked the restart of the facility just a few hours after a county court refused to.

The facility was shut down for 18 months following a four-month blowout that spewed methane and forced thousands of families from their homes.


6:30 p.m.

A California appeals court has temporarily halted the restart of a Los Angeles gas storage facility that was closed by a major blowout.

The 2nd District Court of Appeal issued a stay late Friday that prevents Southern California Gas Co. from pumping gas into its Aliso Canyon facility.

State regulators gave approval last week to resume operations after an extensive overhaul and testing.

But Los Angeles County lawyers moved to block the restart Friday. They say a state safety review didn’t account for earthquake risks.

The appeal was filed after a lower court judge said state law prevented him from overruling the California Public Utilities Commission.

The facility was shut down for 18 months following a four-month blowout that spewed methane and forced thousands of families from their homes.


5: 58 p.m.

Los Angeles County lawyers have filed an appeal to block restarting a gas storage facility that was closed by a major blowout.

An appeal filed Friday came after a lower court judge rejected a request to halt operations at Southern California Gas Co.’s Aliso Canyon facility.

State regulators gave approval last week to pump gas into underground wells after an extensive overhaul and testing.

County lawyers say a state safety review didn’t account for earthquake risks and a court order is necessary because the facility could restart Saturday.

The facility was shut down for 18 months following a four-month blowout that spewed methane and forced thousands of families from their homes.

Superior Court Judge John Wiley says state laws prevented him from overruling the California Public Utilities Commission.


2:10 p.m.

A California judge has denied a motion to stop the reopening of a gas storage facility in Los Angeles County that has been offline since a major blowout.

Lawyers for the county had asked Superior Court Judge John Wiley to stop Southern California Gas Co. from restarting operations at Aliso Canyon because of earthquake risks. The judge tentatively ruled against the county on Friday, according to court filings made public before a hearing. He made the ruling final during the hearing.

Last week state regulators gave approval to pump gas into underground storage wells after an overhaul.

Wiley says state laws prevent the court from overruling an order by the California Public Utilities Commission. .

The site has been largely out of commission since a 2015 blowout spewed methane for months and drove residents from 8,000 homes.

Residents want to see the facility permanently shuttered.

The state says the facility is safe and quake fears are overblown.


1:30 p.m.

A California judge has tentatively denied a motion to stop the reopening of a gas storage facility in Los Angeles County that has been offline since a major blowout.

Lawyers for the county had asked Superior Court Judge John Wiley to stop Southern California Gas Co. from restarting operations at Aliso Canyon because of earthquake risks. The judge tentatively ruled against the county on Friday, according to court filings made public before a hearing.

Last week state regulators gave approval to pump gas into underground storage wells after an overhaul.

Wiley says state laws prevent the court from overruling an order by the California Public Utilities Commission. .

The site has been largely out of commission since a 2015 blowout spewed methane for months and drove residents from 8,000 homes.

Residents want to see the facility permanently shuttered.

The state says the facility is safe and quake fears are overblown.


12:30 a.m.

The fight over reopening a massive gas storage facility that has been crippled since a major blowout is heading to court.

Lawyers for Los Angeles County will ask a Superior Court judge Friday to stop Southern California Gas Co. from restarting operations at Aliso Canyon because of earthquake risks.

The measure comes just a week after state regulators gave approval to pump gas into underground storage wells after an overhaul and extensive testing.

The storage site above the San Fernando Valley has been largely out of commission since an October 2015 well blowout spewed methane for nearly four months and drove residents from 8,000 homes.

Residents who complained of health woes want to see the facility permanently shuttered.

The state says the facility is safe and quake fears are overblown.