WEST CHESTER, Pa. — Authorities in Pennsylvania say a dozen firefighters were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes while battling a building fire.

Officials say firefighters responded to reports of a blaze in West Chester, about 30 miles west of Philadelphia, around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The firefighters were somehow overcome by carbon monoxide, sending one into cardiac arrest.

Chester County officials say several firefighters were hospitalized and others were evaluated at the scene.

It was not immediately clear what caused the fire.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.