SAN DIEGO — The Latest on a Mexican man who was shielded from being deported from the U.S. and claims he was wrongly expelled from the country (all times local):

3 p.m.

A federal judge in San Diego quickly wants a trial on whether a Mexican who was shielded from being deported was wrongly expelled from the United States.

U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel suggested Tuesday that the trial begin in four to six weeks. Attorneys for 23-year-old Juan Manuel Montes and the federal government came to discuss whether he should be allowed to return to the country while his case is adjudicated, but the judge signaled he wanted to go straight to trial.

Montes says immigration authorities forcibly removed him from the United States after midnight on Feb. 19. The Trump administration says Montes left the country voluntarily, forfeiting his protected status.

Curiel drew repeated scorn from President Trump last year for his handling of lawsuits against the now-defunct Trump University.


12:15 a.m.

Lawyers for a Mexican man who was shielded from being deported will try to persuade a well-known federal judge in San Diego that the Trump administration wrongly expelled their client from the United States.

Supporters say 23-year-old Juan Manuel Montes is the first known recipient of the five-year-old Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program to be deported under Trump. The administration says Montes left the United States voluntarily, causing him to forfeit his protected status.

U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel will hear arguments Tuesday, nearly five months after he approved a settlement for Trump to pay $25 million to end lawsuits alleging fraud at his now-defunct Trump University. As the Republican presidential front-runner last year, Trump suggested that the Indiana-born jurist’s Mexican heritage prevented him from being impartial.