CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police in North Carolina’s largest city say a private security guard did nothing wrong when he shot and killed an armed man last week.

The Charlotte Observer reported that Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have determined that the Aug. 23 shooting of 32-year-old Julian Anthony Harris was justified.

Police said Harris was shot after he and another man entered a sweepstakes business wearing masks, apparently planning to rob it. Investigators said Harris pointed a handgun at staff members before the security guard shot him. Harris ran into the woods behind the business, where he was found dead.

The guard’s name has not been released.

The Mecklenburg District Attorney’s Office will review the police department investigation and make the final decision about whether the shooting was justified.


Information from: The Charlotte Observer, http://www.charlotteobserver.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.