INKSTER, Mich. — A Detroit-area woman has escaped her home after it exploded and caught fire.

WXYZ-TV and The Detroit News report that authorities are expected Wednesday to continue investigating the explosion which occurred Tuesday afternoon in Inkster, southwest of Detroit.

Inkster Fire Marshal Robert Roths tells the newspaper that the woman was in the shower when the explosion occurred, but ran from the house and was not injured.

Roths says a natural gas leak may have led to the explosion. He says the house was “fully engulfed” by flames when firefighters arrived.

Everything inside the home is believed to have been destroyed.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.