STAR, Idaho — Authorities say embers from a portable fire pit blown by a windstorm ignited a deck and destroyed a home in southwestern Idaho.

Star Fire Chief Greg Timinsky tells the Idaho Statesman (http://bit.ly/2vN5Mcf) that the house is a total loss but the family escaped after a passer-by spotted flames at about 3:15 a.m. Thursday and alerted those inside.

Timinsky says firefighters arrived and found the back of the home engulfed in flames and worked to prevent the fire from spreading to other structures.

An estimate of damages wasn’t available.


Information from: Idaho Statesman, http://www.idahostatesman.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.