DWIGHT, Kan. — Authorities in northeast Kansas say an electrical malfunction is the likely cause of a fire that killed more than 500 pigs inside a barn.

KSNT-TV reports that the fire broke out Saturday night on a barn owned by F&R Swine of rural Dwight, Kansas. The $200,000 barn was destroyed, and 518 pigs valued at $30,000 died in the blaze.

Employees of the state of Kansas will help the farm dispose of the pigs.


Information from: KSNT-TV.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.