LAS VEGAS — A Las Vegas man is nearly $2 million richer after a snack in a country club landed him in the hospital.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports ( ) Ronald Wood was attending a regular member-guest golf tournament and cocktail party at Canyon Gate Country Club in 2014 when he ate some bacon-wrapped scallops.

He was hospitalized several days later for extreme abdominal pain. Tests revealed his large intestine had ruptured and his discomfort stemmed from a massive infection.

A surgeon found an inch-long broken toothpick in Wood’s abdominal cavity.

A foot of Wood’s colon was removed, along with his gall bladder. He was also treated for a serious liver infection.

Wood was awarded $1.95 million by a jury.

A lawyer for the country club was not available for comment Wednesday afternoon.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.