SALT LAKE CITY — More than 100 families forced from their homes when a wildfire swept through a hillside near Ogden earlier this week are being allowed to return home.

The Deseret News reports (http://bit.ly/2xi8AU0 ) that Weber Fire District Capt. Rick Cooper said Thursday that the 1 square mile (2.5-square-kilometer) fire that started Tuesday is now 85 percent contained.

Fire officials believe the blaze was human caused but are still investigating. They declined to give a cost estimate for the damage of a fire that burned at least three homes.

Michelle Anderson says she was relieved to return to her house that was barely saved by firefighters who doused flames that came within 20 yards of their home on Tuesday morning.

She and her husband and their six kids were among about 1,000 people evacuated at some point during the fire.


Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.