SALT LAKE CITY — The Latest on a northern Utah fire (all times local):

2:30 p.m.

Authorities say a northern Utah fire that destroyed three homes was started by a downed power line.

Weber County announced the finding Friday on Twitter and Facebook and said it will release more information when it is available.

The utility company, Rocky Mountain Power, said in a statement it’s conducting its own investigation.

The 1 square mile (2.5-square-kilometer) near Ogden started Tuesday and forced about 1,000 people to be evacuated from homes and schools in the area. All those evacuations have been lifted.

Fire officials say the fire is 85 percent contained.


9:55 a.m.

More than 100 families forced from their homes when a wildfire swept through a hillside near Ogden earlier this week are being allowed to return home.

The Deseret News reports (http://bit.ly/2xi8AU0 ) that Weber Fire District Capt. Rick Cooper said Thursday that the 1 square mile (2.5-square-kilometer) fire that started Tuesday is now 85 percent contained.

Fire officials believe the blaze was human caused but are still investigating. They declined to give a cost estimate for the damage of a fire that burned at least three homes.

Michelle Anderson says she was relieved to return to her house that was barely saved by firefighters who doused flames that came within 20 yards of their home on Tuesday morning.

She and her husband and their six kids were among about 1,000 people evacuated at some point during the fire.


Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com