SAN DIEGO — The chancellor of the University of California, Irvine, says the school has readmitted most of the 500 students whose admission offers were rescinded last month.
Chancellor Howard Gillman apologized Wednesday for the “unacceptable distress” caused to students after the campus abruptly pulled the offers for the current fall semester.
The Los Angeles Times reports (http://lat.ms/2x1RFC7 ) Gillman said he could not fully explain what went wrong or craft a corrective plan until an internal audit is completed. He said the campus has readmitted all but about 50 students.
Gillman made the comments during a meeting of University of California regents in San Diego.
UC Irvine, one of ten schools in the state university system, has about 25,000 students at the campus in Orange County south of Los Angeles.
Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com/